27/01/2018 0 Comments
Martin and Vicky from Austria, trekked in July 2010
Martin and Vicky did the 11 day Huayhuash trek with Alcides and Adolfo July 24th - August 3rd.
We met with Abner in Huaraz to buy food at the market (yes it works to meet at 9am at one corner of the Plaza de Armas), which is already a first great experience you miss with a travel agency. In Chiquian we stayed at Abner’s house for one night and discussed the exact route. With Adolfo, we took the bus to Pocpa the next day, where we met with Alcides and three donkeys and a mule. After loading all luggage and supplies, we set off for the magnificent trek. The weather was perfect during the whole time, only 2 half-days with clouds and no rain at all. Mountain views every day! There was not a second we regretted having chosen the Valdez brothers as our guides (all the more when you meet large trekking groups along the way):
- They know numerous side paths and great viewpoints so you get away from the main trail if you wish. (We i.e. hiked Trapecio pass to save one day)
- They love their animals, do not overload them and treat them well.
- They have been in these mountains since their childhood and tell a lot of details and stories. Besides, we hardly met a local person they did not know.
- They are great cooks (not only do you get a “restaurant” dinner but also a tasty soup in the afternoon and pancakes in the morning).
- They know a lot of less frequented, small camp sites (despite high season we almost always camped alone or far away from other groups).
- They adapt the route during the trek according to your wishes/abilities.
- They keep the mountains clean by taking all rubbish along with them.
Despite our poor Spanish, we had interesting conversations along the trek and especially in the cold evenings. For us, it’s been magnificent and unique 11 days ending with a great Pachamanca meal at Abner’s house to celebrate the successful trek. Thanks again to you, Abner Alcides and Adolfo.
Leave a comment